I often post about ways that we share our surplus of food and personal care items. Sometimes we share baked goods with friends and family. And have I mentioned the child-sized zucchini that we gave our neighbors?
Today I wanted to talk a bit about giving things other than things. Sometimes things are exactly what people need. But what about the value of a smile given to a stranger at the grocery store? It's amazing how that simple act can startle someone!
Last weekend, my Kroger store was tripling coupons. I saw several people pushing carts containing coupon boxes. I mentioned the triple coupon event (which wasn't posted anywhere) to a couple of them and even gave one of them a coupon I knew I wasn't going to use. It's interesting to see the comraderie spark when fellower couponers take the time to greet each other at the grocery store.
I'm trying to make myself more aware of things I can do for others, even if they don't involve things at all.
Now it's your turn to share your ideas for sharing, giving, and being generous.
You can participate in a couple of ways. If you're a blogger, write a post about a way that you've been able to give. It can be something simple or something out-of-the-ordinary that you did. It can be something from this week or from last year. Don't think of it as bragging... It's a way to encourage others to take action and be more generous! A few guidelines for bloggers:
- Please add a link to Saving and Giving so that your readers can find everyone's ideas all in one place.
- Make sure the link that you add here takes people directly to your A Time to Give post, not the main page of your blog. To do that, publish your post, view your blog, right click on the title, and copy the shortcut. Then paste that shortcut in as your URL here.
- Bloggers who link to other posts or their main pages will have their links removed. This eliminates confusion for others who are looking for ideas on how to give.
- Please do not link to giveaways, contests, or ads.
- Feel free to use the image above in your post. It's not mandatory, but you're welcome to it!
If you're not a blogger, you can participate too! Simply click the comments link below this post, and leave your ideas there. I would love to hear from you!
If you have any questions about A Time to Give, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to being inspired by your ideas on giving! And stop back each Thursday for a new edition of A Time to Give.