Crock Pot Black Bean Soup
1 pound dry black beans
1/2 pound diced ham
5 cups of water*
5 tsp. chicken bullion *
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (I used Tastefully Simple's Garlic Garlic.)
1/2 Tbs. chili powder (I used a full tablespoon, but it was TOO much!)
1 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cornstarch
*You can substitute 5 c. of chicken broth for the water and bullion.
- Soak black beans overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans. Place in a pan, cover with water, and simmer on low for an hour.
- Drain beans again.
- Place all ingredients except cornstarch in Crock Pot.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, use a slotted spoon to remove 1 cup of cooked beans and ham. Place them in a blender or food processor with a little bit of the broth. Puree, and return to the pot. Whisk pureed bean mixture into the broth.
- Combine cornstarch with cold water in a small bowl. Mix. Add to the Crock Pot. Mix with a whisk.
- Let cook for an additional 30 minutes or until broth thickens a bit.
We served this with homemade bread one night and homemade biscuits the next. Both were yummy!
For more great recipes, stop by:
:: Tasty Tuesday hosted by Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
:: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday hosted by Blessed with Grace
:: Tuesdays at the Table hosted by All the Small Stuff
:: Crockpot Wednesday hosted by Dining with Debbie
:: The Recipe Swap hosted by The Grocery Cart Challenge
:: Ultimate Recipe Swap hosted by Life As Mom
:: What's in Your Crockpot hosted by Smockity Frocks