As parents, we do our best to keep the focus of Christmas on Jesus. But Easter is tougher for me. How do you explain to a young child the significance of Jesus dying for them and coming back to life? Do they get it? How do you deal with the violence of the crucifixion without leaving kids fearful?
Today we sat together and watched the Easter portion of The Jesus Series DVD from Thomas Nelson publishers. This DVD was sent to me by Tommy Nelson, the kids' division of Thomas Nelson. You're probably most familiar with their Hermie and Gigi God's Little Princess series. The Read & Share DVD Bible is another one of Tommy Nelson's tools to help parents introduce their kids to Jesus.
Before I watched the video, I was a little apprehensive about the violence issue. Emma is extremely sensitive. It's not that I want her shielded from the true suffering of Jesus. I just want her introduced to it in an age-appropriate manner.
This video came through for us. Not only did it share an accurate story of the last week of Christ's life on Earth, it did it in a way that let Emma know that Jesus did suffer. But it didn't scare her. She was most affected by the people yelling "Crucify him!" in the crowd scene. She wanted to know why they were mad at Jesus. Good question, little lady. And a good conversation-starter.
My hope for this DVD was that it would cause Emma to ask questions, and that's just what it did. I would encourage any of you with young kids to use this as a tool to begin a discussion about what Jesus was here for and why He had to die.
Tommy Nelson has generously offered to provide a copy of the Easter DVD from The Jesus Series for one of my readers! If you'd like to win a copy, there are seven ways to enter to win:
- Visit the Tommy Nelson website, and tell me what your favorite product or video is. This company has so many great resources for kids!
- Become a Tommy Nelson Facebook fan. Come back and leave a comment letting me know that you became a fan.
- Follow Tommy Nelson on Twitter. Come back and leave a comment letting me know that you're a follower.
- Follow Saving and Giving on Twitter. Come back and leave a comment letting me know that you're a follower.
- Become a follower of this blog. You can follow by adding this site to your Google Reading list, or you can click the Follow button on the right side of this page. Once you sign up, leave a comment alerting me that you are following. Already a follower? Just leave me a comment letting me know.
- Subscribe to this blog's daily email update. This gets you a single daily update email at the end of each day. If there are any posts at all, you get one email with all of them. If there aren't any posts, then you don't get an email. I promise to never give your email address to ANYONE else, and I don't email my list anything but the daily updates. If you already subscribe, leave a comment letting me know. If you sign up to subscribe, leave a comment letting me know.
- Add Saving and Giving to your blogroll. This can be via my button or text, however your blogroll is set up. If you use buttons, please use my new one, replacing any older versions that might be out there. The code is directly below the button on the left side of this page. If you do this, leave a comment letting me know. Include your blog site address so that I can check it out! If you already have my button on your blog, please update the image and leave me a link. I'll stop by to say hello.
If you're entering more than once, please leave separate comments letting me know what you did. If you do four different things to enter but only leave one comment, you only end up with one entry. Instead, leave a comment for each method of entry that you use.
The winner will be chosen randomly on Thursday, March 18 at 9:00 p.m. EST. Good luck!
Disclosure: I received a free DVD from Tommy Nelson. Tommy Nelson is also supplying a free DVD for my giveaway winner. The reviews here are my own honest opinions of the product and were not influenced by the free DVD.